Rain or shine, the annual event will go on! Here's what you need to know about the highly anticipated annual celebration in Gulfport. We'll tell you where to park, where to get cash and where the restrooms will be during Geckofest.
The 12th Annual Geckofest: Hooray for Geckowood is expected to lure 30,000 people to the city on Saturday Sept. 1. The all day free event features food, art, live music, kids events, a parade and street dance. Here's what you need to know if you plan on coming to the event.
- Where: Downtown Gulfport on Beach Blvd.
- When: Saturday, September 1, 2012
- Time: 10 a.m. - 10 p.m.
- Price: Free
Roads Closed: A section of Beach Blvd. will be closed beginning at 6 a.m. the day of the event. Crews will block off 28th Ave S. to Shore Blvd. S. from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m.
Parking: Take a look at the parking map provided by the City of Gulfport. Feel free to print the map before you head out! This map shows:
- Free parking areas
- Free trolley route (Free trolley service 12 p.m. to 10 p.m. day of the event) Park anywhere in the trolley route and catch a free ride by waving down the trolley.
- Free off-site parking (Park and wave down the trolley for a free ride to Beach Blvd.)
- 10 a.m.- Opening of new electric car station on Shore Boulevard near the Gulfport Casino Ballroom, 5500 Shore Blvd. S.
- 12 p.m. - 10 p.m.- Live entertainment on three stages.
- The Casino Stage, Beach Blvd. & Shore Blvd. S.
- Beach Blvd. & 30th Ave S.
- Art Village Courtyard Stage
- 6 p.m.- Walking Parade, meet outside The Gulfport Casino Ballroom at 5:30 p.m.
- 6:30 p.m. - Costume contest for all ages.
- 8 p.m.- Street Dance
Live Bands & Entertainment Schedule:
Main Stage in front of Gulfport Casino Ballroom:
- 10-11:30am: Joel and Dakota
- Noon-1:30pm: Tropical Disturbance
- 2-3:30: Bing Futch
- 4-5:30: Circle Four
- 5:30: Parade Staging by Dive
- 6:00: Walking Parade begins
- 6-7:30: Paul Anthony
- 6:30: Costume Contest at Main Stage
- 8-10: Urban Gypsies
- 8:45: Fire Show on 31st and Beach Blvd
30th and Beach Blvd. Stage:
- 10 am-1:30pm: Noisemakers and Gabe Whitney
- 2-3:30pm: The Wrenchers
- 4-5:30: Casey Allen
- 6-7:20: The Impacs
Art Village Courtyard Stage:
- 1:30pm: Noisemakers and Gabe Whitney
- 2:30: Jimbo Talbot Drum Quest
- 4:00: Ybor City Buskers and Friends
- 6:00: Gulfport Ramblers
- The o-FISH-al GECKO Goddess and the Gecko Court will be walking around the event.
- Children's area by Spotlight Amusements
- Street Performers
- Face Painting
Costume Contest: (6:30 p.m.) Win prizes during the parade!
- Best "Hooray for Geckowood!" (for children & adults)
- Best Overall (for children & adults)
- Best Hat (for children & adults)
Pets: Pets are always welcome in Gulfport! Be sure to bring a plastic bag to pick up after your furry friend.
ATM Machines: They will be located at the following areas:
- Outside the Gulfport Casino Ballroom, 5500 Shore Blvd. S.
- Beach Blvd. & 29th Ave S.
- Beach Blvd. & 30th Ave S.
- Beach Blvd. & 31st Ave S.
Public Restrooms: Permanent restrooms are connected to the Gulfport Casino Ballroom, 5500 Shore Blvd. S. There will be portable restrooms on Beach Blvd. & 29th Ave S.
Share Your Experience: Send us your photos and we'll publish them on Gulfport Patch. Attach them to this story or email them to the Editor at email@example.com.
Say Hi to Patch: We'll have a booth just south of Beach Blvd. & 31st Ave S. Come say "Hi" to patch.com and several Local Editors, including:
- Gulfport Patch Editor Cherlene Willis
- Pinellas Beaches Patch Editor Leigh Armstrong