At least one propane tank exploded at a Gulfport home early tonight, causing flames to shoot up in the air and firefighters from four municipalities to respond.
No one was injured in the dramatic blaze, which is still under investigation.
When Gulfport firefighters responded to an emergency call to 29th Avenue South and 53rd Street South, flames were at least 15 feet tall, Lt. Erick Fuchs said tonight.
Emergency officials with Gulfport, St. Petersburg, South Pasadena and Treasure Island were called in to help at around 5:15 Thursday night.
At least three engines battled the flames.
Fuchs saw three propane tanks in the small building and says at least one "exploded," because he saw a "flash" while fighting the fire.
Fuchs was unsure if the homeowner was home at the time; however, fire officials met with him after the fire was put out.
Neighbors Louis and Elaine Amandola, at 2819 53rd St. S., called the non-emergency dispatch number, at 727-893-1030, after a woman banged on their door.
She had alerted them to the fire. Louis and Elaine saw the flames behind their neighbor's home and got out safely. The couple witnessed the flames spreading into their own yard shortly after getting out of their house.
Louis even tried to help by using a garden hose to water down his fence. The Amandolas say they are thankful no one was hurt and that emergency officials responded so quickly.
"We're very grateful for the Gulfport Fire Department," Louis Amandola said.
Check back with Gulfport Patch for updates.