Marine officers made 17 arrests and issued 20 citations in a special enforcement effort by the Pinellas County Sheriff's Office over the three-day Memorial Day holiday.
The stops were made along Pinellas County waterways, beginning Friday and running through Monday.
In addition to responding to water rescue calls, the Marine Unit Deputies:
- Conducted 106 boating safety equipment inspections;
- Delivered 93 warnings regarding safe boating pratcitices;
- Issued 20 boating citations;
- Handled one boating accident;
- Made one traffic stop;
- Arrested 17 people;
- Made one felony warrant arrest;
- Had two public assists.
The weekend enforcement was to boost safe boating on Pinellas waterways and reduce the risk of injury and death.