Of every dollar spent locally, about 70 cents stays local. Of every dollar spent at a national franchise or corporation, less than 40 cents stays local.
1. Preserve our community's character. Imagine if all of a sudden you looked around and all you saw were Big Box stores? Local shops also offer more of a custom selection, geared for the local market and our particular needs and interests.
2. Help local charities, local schools & local programs. Studies show that on average, local businesses give three times as much as the large chains.
3. Keep Money Local. Of every dollar spent locally, about 70 cents stays local. Of every dollar spent at a national franchise or corporation, less than 40 cents stays local.
4. Help cut down the unemployment rate. It's a fact: Small businesses provide more jobs. The Big Box store might come in with a splash and many instant (low-paying) jobs, but its long-term impact hurts the community. A town with many small, local businesses employs more people than a town with a Big Box store.
5. Ensure better quality & lower prices. It's all about healthy competition. Having thousands of small businesses is the best way to ensure innovation and low prices over the long-term.
Need more reasons? Check out this powerful video. You won't show the same way again.