To celebrate its 10th year, St. Pete Pride’s lineup for 2012 is hosting a grand party this weekend in downtown St. Petersburg. Central Avenue’s Grand Central District plays host to what is now the largest gay pride festival in the state. Businesses, families and hundreds of vendors will gather this weekend to celebrate one thing: love.
Check out our list of pride events and decide how you will spend your time this weekend:
Friday, June 29
- Pride in Fashion- Macy’s at Tyrone Square Mall (6901 Tyrone Square) will be hosting a pre-pride fashion show. A $10 donation is suggested and donors will receive a $10 Macy’s gift card in return. Complimentary hors d'oeuvres and champagne will be served. It all starts at 6 p.m.
- Rock 4 Pride- This “gal” party is loaded with live music from Someday Souvenir and Rise of Saturn & Bedroom Set. Tickets are $15 in advance and $20 at the door. The event starts at 8 p.m. at the Local 662. Tickets are expected to sell out, so be sure to purchase yours in advance.
- Jagermeister Pride Pre-Party- Georgie’s Alibi (3100 3rd Ave. N.) and Jagermeister will be hosting the official kick off party for St. Pete Pride 2012. Doors open at 9 p.m. and guests can expect live music, giveaways and drink specials. The event is free.
Saturday, June 30
- Una Voce Pride Pancake Breakfast- Rise and shine (at 7 a.m.) for some coffee and pancakes at the King of Peace MCC (3150 5th Ave. N.). The cost is $6 and the meal is an all-you-can-eat serving. Get your fill before starting the day at this annual event.
- 10th Annual St. Pete Pride Street Festival- Starting at 9 a.m. on Saturday morning, vendors will line the streets of Central Avenue between 21st St. and 28th St. Parking is first come, first serve in the surrounding areas of 1st Ave. N. and 1st Ave. S. Live music, dancing, food and drinks will be available to the public. The event is free and due to the heat, sunscreen and light clothing is encouraged.
- 10th Annual St. Pete Pride Promenade- The parade route starts at Georgie’s Alibi and continues through Kenwood and on to the Grand Central District. Floats, performers and 10 Grand Marshals are the highlight of this year’s pride parade. The march starts promptly at 9 a.m.
- Gay, Straight Alliance Beach Party- High school and college students of the GSA will be hosting a beach party at Fort DeSoto park from 4 - 7 p.m. A $5 donation is suggested and parking fees may apply. Enjoy the view, play some games and indulge in some grub at the GSA’s prideful beach bash.
- An Evening with Christine O’Leary- From 7 - 10 p.m. on Saturday night, funny gal Christine O’Leary will be performing her stand up act at the Metro Wellness and Community Center. The cost is $10 at the door. Enjoy libations from a cash bar while listening to one of the funniest ladies in the country.
How will you choose to spend your weekend of pride?