Celebrate the 4th of July in Gulfport
The city gears up for what is usually the biggest celebration day of the year to honor the Fourth of July.
Uncle Sam's 236th birthday is just a few hours away and Gulfport will be packed for its annual Fourth of July Festivities. Here's a run down:
* Fishing Derby: At 8 a.m. lasting until 11 a.m., children 12-and-under can compete for the top angler in Gulfport. The competition, which will be held at the seawall near the Gulfport Recreation Center, is free but youngsters must bring their own fishing rods. There will be drawings for prizes and prizes for the best angler.
* Car show: From 10 a.m.-2 p.m., check out some of the most tricked out cars in the area displayed along Shore Blvd. Each entrant into the show costs $10 and the mayor and city council will winners of the best car and best-dressed car.
* Sand sculpture: Get ready to make your best red, white and blue sand castle, or other project from 10 a.m.-noon at the Gulfport Beach. The most patriotic wins!
* KIDZONE!: On the Gulfport Beach from noon-6 p.m., all sorts of kids activates can be found with food and drink available for purchase.
* Live music: Music will fill the air as bands will play on the outdoor stage at the Gulfport Casino from 5-10 p.m.
* Arts and Crafts: All sorts of food and arts and crafts vendors will line the streets along the downtown waterfront district.
* Parade: The parade begins at 6 p.m. and marches down Beach Blvd. Following the parade, the Tampa Bay Thunder Drum and Bugle Corps. will perform.
* Fireworks: Just what type of Fourth of July celebration can end without fireworks? Gulfport is no exception and the spectacular fireworks display will begin at the waterfront at 9 p.m.
For those attending from out of town, the city is offering plenty of remote parking with the Gulfport Trolley acting as a shuttle from 4-11 p.m. The trolley is free. The remote parking areas are:
*Gulfport Public Library (5501 28th Ave. South).
*Gulfport Senior Center and Theater (5501 27th Ave. South.)
*Hoyt Field (2306 56th St. South).
*Chase Park (54th St. South. and 28th Ave. South).
*Ibis Park (58th St. South and 28th Ave. South).
For more information call: (727) 893-1118